Lakehead Shrine Club History
The first known Shriner in the Thunder Bay-area was created in the first class of Khartum Temple in 1905. There were many Shriners in the area during the ensuing years and in 1937 Khartum Temple was granted jurisdiction for Northwestern Ontario.The Lakehead Shrine Club received its Charter in September 1938.Many Lakehead Shrine Club members are also members of Units. Each unit has its own purpose and personality. These Units contribute to the Club as members of a family.As a family, members share many social events and grow in fraternity as they unite in concerted efforts to help crippled and burned children.
Executive Meeting 8pm - 2nd Tuesday Except July & Aug
Regular Meeting 8pm - 4th Tuesday Except July Aug & Dec
Thus, in 1922, was established the Shriner's Hospitals for Children, which to this date is known as the World's Greatest Philanthropy. Its mandate was to set up and maintain a network of hospitals for treating children with orthopaedic or burns injuries. In 1923, Khartum Shriners proudly sent their first three patients to the Twin Cities Shrine Hospital for Children for treatment at no cost to the children or their families
The Winnipeg Unit of Shriner's Hospital for Children was built and in operation In 1949. This was the pride of Khartum and was, no doubt, one of the main reasons for its membership growth as loyal and committed members served and supported the Shrine philanthropy. With the introduction of the Canadian universal medicare system, the Winnipeg Unit of Shriners Hospital for Children was turned over to the Manitoba government in 1977.
Our philanthropy has been further enhanced in Khartum through the recognition of children in need of our services with the introduction of the Khartum Patient Transportation Fund, which is a registered charity. The fund has enabled Khartum to triple its patient load of children requiring and needing our no-cost medical services.
Ancient Arabic Order of the
Nobles of the Mystic Shrine
In 1870, several thousand of the 900,000 residents of Manhattan were Masons. Many of these Masons made it a point to lunch at the Knickerbocker Cottage, a restaurant located at 426 Sixth Avenue. At a special table on the second floor, a particularly jovial group of these men used to meet regularly.The Masons who gathered at this table were noted for their good humor and wit. They often discussed the idea of a new fraternity for Masons, in which fun and fellowship would be stressed more than ritual. Two of the table regulars, Walter M. Fleming, M.D., and William J. (Billy) Florence, an actor, took the idea seriously enough to do something about it.Billy Florence was a star. After becoming the toast of the New York stage, he toured London, Europe and Middle Eastern countries, always playing to capacity audiences. While on tour in Marseilles, France, Florence was invited to a party given by an Arabian diplomat.Florence, recalling conversations at the Knickerbocker Cottage, realized that this Arabian theme might well be the vehicle for the new fraternity.Dr. Walter Fleming was a prominent physician and surgeon. Born in 1838, he obtained a degree in medicine in Albany, N.Y., in 1862. During the Civil War, he was a surgeon with the 13th New York Infantry Brigade of the National Guard. He then practiced medicine in Rochester, N.Y., until 1868, when he moved to New York City and quickly became a leading practitioner.Fleming was devoted to fraternalism. He became a Master Mason and completed some of his Scottish Rite work in Rochester. Fleming then completed his Scottish Rite degrees in New York City and was coroneted a 33 degree Scottish Rite Mason on September 19, 1872.Fleming took the ideas supplied by Florence and converted them into what would become the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (A.A.O.N.M.S.).With the help of other Knickerbocker Cottage regulars, Fleming drafted the ritual, designed the emblem and costumes, formulated a salutation, and declared that members would wear a red fez.The initiation rites, or ceremonials, were drafted by Fleming with the help of three Brother Masons: Charles T. McClenachan, lawyer and expert on Masonic Ritual; William Sleigh Paterson, printer, linguist and ritualist; and Albert L. Rawson, prominent scholar and Mason who provided much of the Arabic background.Read the full story Here
Khartum Temple, so familiar to many people in Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario today, was relatively unknown until 1905 when Khartum Temple was introduced, established and chartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba, through the efforts of members of the Masonic Order, Scottish and York Rites and the Shrine of North America. Thus, the name Khartum is taken from the chief city in Sudan, became Temple No. 95 in the Shrine of North America and the fifth temple to be chartered in Canada.As membership rapidly grew throughout the Shrine of North America, the Imperial Shrine officers recognized that Shriners had to have a mandate that would keep their membership united in a common purpose. .In earlier years, as the membership of Khartum grew, meetings were held at several venues throughout Winnipeg. Before moving into its current premises, the Temple was located in the former Ashdown residence at 529 Wellington Crescent, noted for its prestigious charm, beauty, presence, location and historical significance.In 1937, Khartum was given jurisdiction over the Lakehead and Northern Ontario areas, which extended the Temple's jurisdiction from the Saskatchewan border to approximately 120 miles east of Thunder Bay.In 1949. Khartum also introduced the Stop Burns Injuries Program, which provides fire-prevention educational services to school children as well as a public service to senior residences and other organizations interested in preventing burns injuries.We recognize and proudly salute the support received from our various Shrine units operating out of Winnipeg and our Shrine clubs outside the city. All members of these units and clubs stand proud and tall for the many contributions they make in terms of time, effort and resources to the Shrine of North America and to the communities, towns and cities they represent.Over the past several years, many fund-raising initiatives have been introduced and well supported by hardworking and committed nobles and their ladies who assist our whole organization to fund general operations and to help children who cannot help themselves.In 2000, the Temple moved into its new and permanent home at 1155 Wilkes Avenue in Winnipeg, where it services the needs of its members and offers first-class facilities to the public for meetings and other functions and events.Khartum Shriners and their ladies remain fiercely proud of the contributions and services we provide through our obligations and commitment to the World's Greatest Philanthropy.